Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About CR1 Visa US Embassy Manila

Chris asks…

My Girlfriend lives & works in Hong Kong, but is a citizen of the Philippines and we want to get married there?

We want to get married in Hong Kong as to speed up the Visa process. Can we file the Immigrant Petition for Alien resident form I-130 in Hong Kong with her being a citizen of the Philippines? I assume I file it at the US embassy and they will end interviewing her in Hong Kong? How long does this take?

I understand this is much faster than filing back in the US? Can anyone help me understand the process and time involved for her to be allowed entry into the USA?

Best Answer:

Sorry, your assumptions are not correct.

You certainly can marry in Hong Kong, but this will not affect the visa process.

The US Consulate in Hong Kong will not accept your filing, you will still need to file via
the Chicago Lock box when you return.

This is the process you will follow:

In order to bring your new wife to the USA and her to remain here permanently you must apply for a spousal visa. And she will have
to wait in her home country while it is pending.

Yyou must apply for a spousal visa for her. The spousal CR-1 visa will give her permission to come to the USA and stay here permanently.

Spousal visas take 12 to 16 months.

The CR-1 Spousal Visa Process is as follows:

First of all you have a real courtship and relationship followed by a legal marriage.

You are a US citizen.

You earn over $18,910.

You are able to ‘prove’ that you have a real, genuine, ‘bone fide’ relationship. You do this by presenting copies of correspondences, photos, letters, plane tickets, etc.


Once married you apply for the visa, to USCIS Homeland Security. This is called
form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative.

Then about 6 to 7 months later USCIS approves.

Then Department of State’s National Visa Center, NVC, will contact you for additional
application fees, and for you to submit to them a ‘mini petition’ with your spouses original documents.

Once NVC has completed their processing, about 4 to 8 months later, they pass the case to
the consulate nearest your spouse. If she is still working in Hong Kong she can have her interview there, or if she prefers she can return to Philippines and be interviewed in Manila.

Then your spouse is asked to attend an interview ( 3 to 5 months later) and the visa will be granted or denied.

A timeline for the Spouse visa is shown at

If granted, she can begin her travel to the USA. Her green card is already approved, she should get it in the mail a few months later.

Best of luck with your plans

Fred Wahl

Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

4723 Total Views 4 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved