Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About Green Card Status

Carol asks…

TN status to Green Card?

Hey. I currently have a TN status visa (I am a Canadian Citizen) & I have been here in the U.S. for about 1 month now. I am having some trouble with my employer so I have a couple questions:

1) Can I apply for a second night job (such as a waitress) under my TN visa while still working for the company that I applied for TN status with?

2) Can I apply for a green card? if so, how?

Thank you!

Best Answer:

No. You can only work the job your TN was for and only in that specialty occupation. If you work a second job (and it will show up on your taxes) you will find your TN canceled. And how badly are they paying you that you would make enough as a waitress to bother with?

You cannot apply for a green card while on a TN visa unless you have a masters degree or higher. And it has to be done within 3 months of starting the TN because once you file for a green card, you cannot get another TN.

Otherwise your employer has to file for an H-1B for you. Then once you have an H-1B, the employer can file for a green card for you.

The green card filing will take just under 3 years if you have a masters or higher and about 6 years if you have a bachelors.

Or you can find a US citizen to marry in a big hurry.

So I suggest you better figure out how to cope with your employer. Or plan of heading back north soon.

Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

1467 Total Views 2 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved