Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About Spouse Of US Citizen Adjustment Of Status

Jenny asks…

Can I apply for my spouse right after the Oath Ceremony (US Citizen)?

Hello guys! I’m going to be taking my oath soon to become a US Citizen. My spouse is on a student visa here in the US and we recently got married through court. On the day of the Oath ceremony, would I be able to apply for him, and how long will it take for him to get the green card?
Will I be able to apply for dual-citizenship (India & USA) on that same day as well?

Thank you so much for your help!
Also, I live in Chicago… Not sure where I’ll be taking the oath and where I would have to go for the applying.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer:

The moment you naturalize as a U.S. Citizen you will lose your Indian citizenship. India does not allow its citizens to hold another citizenship, but they have a hybrid, O.C.I. (Overseas Citizenship of India). You will have to surrender your Indian passport formally to the Indian embassy and then, after your O.C.I. Has been approved, get a blue stamp into your U.S. Passport, identifying you as a person of Indian descent.

You could have filed an I-130 for your husband already, but since he’s in the U.S. You two need to file for Adjustment of Status (AoS). But first things first: get your U.S. Passport book and card, so that the Certificate of Naturalization can go in the bank safe. You do not ever want to bring yourself in a position where you have to send it out again, nor do you ever want to lose it.

Once you have your passports, update your SSA records from resident to U.S. Citizen. Then collect everything you need for AoS. The cost is $1,490, plus the cost for the medical from the civil surgeon.

For more info go to and read the AoS Guides!

Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

1046 Total Views 2 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved