Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About US Citizenship Application

Ken asks…

Any issue changing address while US citizenship(N-400) application is in progress?

I submitted my US citizenship application on Dec 24th 2008, when I was in Champaign, Illinois. I was called for finger print 3 weeks ago and it was done. Now I have moved to Edison, NewJersey 2 weeks ago due to job change. Giving change of address to USCIS at this point will cause any problem to my application?

Best Answer:

You have to report a change of address to USCIS within 10 days until you become a US citizen! Every change of address even if you have no pending case. No, your change of address will not cause any delay but if you don’t report your change of address, it can have serious consequences.

You can either do so online at by submitting an electronic AR-11 or you can mail the same form to them. In addition, if you have a pending case, you have to call them up at (800) 375-5283 so that they could update your address on your pending application because sending them AR-11 does not automatically update your address on your pending cases. Please report your change of address ASAP because not reporting it may have consequences (in fact, you can be fined, they talk about giving jailtime to people not reporting their address but I don’t know if that law has ever been enforced).

In my opinion, that law requires you to reside in the district for at least 3 months PRIOR to filing but it doesn’t say that you are not allowed to move afterwards. It would be logical to think he should not have moved and he made another mistake by not reporting his change of address too. So he should report his address, his application may be denied but it’s still better to be honest. They would find out about his new job anyway.

Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

1252 Total Views 2 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved