Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About US Citizenship Test 2014

David asks…

Becoming a US citizen?

My best friend from Guatemala wants to become a US citizen. He has lived here illegally for 3 years and wants to get a green card…but doesn’t know how. I want to offer him some guidance, but I don’t understand the US immigration site very well. He doesn’t fit under any categories. He is not a refugee, widow, or legal resident.

Does he have to become a legal resident for five years first? If so, how does he doe that?

He has worked here illegally for 2 years, lived here for 3 years. He doesn’t want to lie about his status. He has no criminal background.

If there is a chance of him being deported, I will drop this inquiry altogether.


I’d appreciate we leave out any hateful comments. Thank you for your help!
If there is “no way for an illegal to become legal,” then why the hell do we expect them not to enter illegally??
–Brother_Hesekiel, I am very interested in your input. He was 16 when he entered the US. I am wondering if he has any chance at becoming legal.

Best Answer:


Acquiring U.S. Citizenship by means of naturalization is the final reward for a small group of (legal) immigrants who have lived in the United States as Green Card holders for years, paid, income taxes, never got in trouble with the law, passed tests, interviews, met the “good moral standard” requirement, paid thousands of dollars in fees alone . . . You name it. It’s a long, multi-step process.

Before somebody can even have their first wet dream about becoming a U.S. Citizen, he would have to be a “lawful permanent resident.” which is what a Green Card holder formally is. The path to this is either an immigrant visa or a petition for Adjustment of Status, both of which would have to be filed by an immediate relative of his who would need to be a U.S. Citizen themselves.

Your friend has no basis for either of those. On top, he is not only unlawfully present, but also works without authorization. If he doesn’t file an annual tax return, he’d also be guilty of tax evasion, a felony. There is no way for him to do anything, not even by marriage to a U.S. Citizen, again, because he has no status to adjust FROM. The moment he leaves the U.S. He will be barred for 10-years, but in real life he won’t be able to return after this decade, unless an immediate family member who is a U.S. Citizen petitions for him, which, the way I understand it, is not the case.

I don’t know how old he was when he entered the United States, but if he was just a minor, he might have a shot to benefit from the DREAM Act, once it makes its way into law, which I assume will happen in late 2013 or 2014. If he was over the age of 17, however, he’s a dead fish in the water, always will be. In that case I’d suggest a planed exit strategy rather than one in handcuffs with nothing in his pockets where they dump him in the middle of nowhere. Not fun.

If I had a Hispanic background, would speak Spanish fluently and liked the culture, I’d try to make my way to Argentina, specifically Buenos Aires, which has fantastic European flair, and start over.

Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

1175 Total Views 4 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved