Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About US Fiancee Visa For Uk Citizen

Mark asks…

US citizen to visit UK for 11 months?

I’m confused about what I have to do when I go to the UK. My fiancee is going to be going on a “road job” as his company calls it to the UK for 11 months. I’m going to be going as well for the entire time but since we are not married yet his company says that I’m on my own when it comes to going. I’m sooooo confused about what to do. I just applied for my passport so that part is ok. But when it comes to the uk i was looking at their immigration site about visiting and it said the max is 6 months. i wanna get a work visa for while i’m there. i do not know what to do about the immigration i dont wanna be a UK citizen and thats basically what i’m understanding i have to do if I plan on being there over 6 months!!!!!! do i stay 6 months, fly back to the US and then fly back for another 5? any help would be comforting!!!!!

i’m freaking out because i’ve never been out of the country before and i have NO CLUE what to do
i do not have to work because we will have sufficient income to support US, if working complicates things then i will not work

Best Answer:

***It is against UK law for anyone not specifically licensed to do so to give advice on immigration to the UK, so this is not offered as anything but general ideas and warnings from my own experience.***

No offense to the Guru, but a visitors visa from the US is maxed at 6 months in 12 total, and it is not 90 in, 90 out or any such thing: it’s 6 months in the past 12. Work visas are heavily restricted and only for very specific groups- the company hiring you has to apply for it, so unless you are highly skilled (or in an age bracket allowing you to come here for work-travel experience or eligible for temporary work, which is highly restricted- see the link at the end of my post), you are unlikely to get it. As far as telecommuting, its only work in the UK you are barred from taking. But you may also need health insurance as you may not be covered under the NHS and private healthcare is very different here. The chap that tells you to contact Customs… He has the wrong branch of the government- he is telling you the equivalent of contacting the IRS to get a green card! And you cannot apply to emigrate because you have no grounds, unless you have a grandparent who was born in the UK (see link below) or some other connection to the UK other than someone you know being on a 11 month work visa.

Although well meaning, posts here have given you incorrect advice. This is why it is so important that you get help from people officially sanctioned to give you this important legal advice… Thats what immigration advice is, legal advice! Please trust me: you have to do this properly as they will not give you a second chance. One small error and you will never again pass smoothly through the passport line, and you could find yourself in real trouble. This is a serious issue.

You need to see someone at a British Consulate (there will be one assigned to your area, but depending where you live it might be hundreds of miles or more away)- they will help you sort through what is best, at a charge.

Visa’s are not free. The US to UK visitor’s visa is a free visa, but everything else has a price.

The 6 months of the visitor’s visa applies to the period within 12 months- so if you have used up your 6 months visitor visa, which expressly forbids working, you cannot reenter the country in the next 6 months. They routinely ban those who overstay their visa by a ban on entering the country and potentially a criminal charge. Please do not just get a 6 month visa and overstay.

If you live together, you should check your state law- some places do not allow discrimination against non-married partners (here we call a fiance or anyone you live with in a husband/wife (or similar same sex relationship) your partner). Be prepared to bring proof you live together (if you do), or at least proof of the amount of time you have been together.

You need to accept that it may not be possible for you to come here … But there may be other ways. For example, a student visa- if someone comes here as a student, they can get a visa for the duration of their course, and get 20 hours a week to work. If this interests you, find a college or university in proximity to where your fiance will will live and see what it would take to enroll in a full time course for the time you will be here, you may find the prices not too bad. See if you can align the course with the time you will be here to get the best benefit.

One alternative is to contact in the UK the Immigration Advisory Service, listed below, a charity that offers immigration advice for people wanting to come to the UK. They will help almost anyone, but charge people based on financial ability to pay.

There are some other circumstances that can attract a visa unrelated to your fiance’s – might be worth having a look at the Immigration website. See link 2. This covers temportary working, work/travel programmes, etc.

If you have a grandparent who was born in the UK, you may be allowed to have a non-restricted visa. See the third link listed.

Finally, depending on what kind of visa your partner has, you may be eligible to come with him anyway… But you still might not be able to work. See the final link below.

I know it may seem unfair not to be able to come with him, or not to be able to work, but this is a crowded, small country that suffers with a lot of immigration issues.

Whichever answer you choose as best, PLEASE get the right advice. This is not something you can resolve successfully by asking people who you don;t know with qualifications you can’t verify. The UK laws have all been updated and there is more change as of Nov 1- you cannot rely on answers from this site, no matter how good or well meaning (as I believe they usually are), for legal advice this important.

If you can’t resolve the visa issue or its too much work or time to get it resolved, plan 2-3 trips to visit him during the year he is here, and learn the truth behind the idiom that absence makes the heart grow fonder. His company may have a plan to provide some subsidy towards those trips- again, check about benefits for unmarried partners in your state (with an attorney, not Yahoo answers!)

Hope this helps…. Good luck whatever happens. I’m sorry people may not like my answer, I know its long, but its complete, truthful, well researched, founded in verifiable facts (which I reference) and real personal experience with a very complicated and demanding immigration system: I can’t be any more thorough than this. Don’t freak out tho- there are lots of resources available to help you: Start with the British Consulate’s Visa division.

Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

1898 Total Views 2 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved