Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About US Residency Test

David asks…

Help about US University admission information!!???

Currently, am in high school. I am a resident of Greece and I am interested in attending a Univeersity in USA.As I am planing to become a surgent, certainly I need info. about admission in US medical Universities.Do non-american citizens have to study only in private Universities?
Most of all I am interested in the prosedure of admisssion to such universities and of cource the cost of year’s studying.
The problem is that I can’t find any substancial info.
P>S mostly I would like info. about the admition process to the University of Florida,College of Medicine, but also other Univ. to compare.
If you indicate info, or a web site or a e-mail of a person who may instruct me all thes info. I would be very thankful.

Best Answer:

You have to go to a college first for four years here or there, if you go there you have to take the US medical course and pass the test (USMLE) before admission to a Medical school.

The college is pre-med Biology major (Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, Statistics, Biology, Organic Chemistry, labs, etc.)

Most colleges offer acceptable courses

U Florida probably has a pre-med major

After that it’s 4 years medical school, 1 year internship and if you want to go into surgery 5 years low paid residency in surgery at a hospital training facility then you take a test.

Foreign programs don’t always have the same intensity for sugerical training. That’s why the US requires testing.

That’s not to say, Greek programs are bad (they might be as good or even better) but a lot of programs graduate you and then let you call yourself anything without any additional training.

We don’t go for that. You need 4-5 years supervised triaing and then have to take a proficency test to verify the training.

They also like to see two langauges.

You will need to MASTER English fairly well.

So you’re looking at 13 years training of which 5 year is basically full time college environment (classes, labs, homework, papers, tests, grades) and 3 years is lab, hospital, medical research and clinic work.

Then 1 year on hospital rotation and ER room. Then 5 years doing surgery. First two years assisting. SEcond three years doing surgery under supervision and the last year is as Chief Resident Surgeon, often the on call person nights and weekends and senior staffer AT that time!

America breaks surgery into specific areas.

General surgery is mostly lower and mid body and tonsils, male and female (including gynechological and C section work, but mostly hernias, gallbalders, liver sections)

There is also specialty inculding Ob/gyn (which is treatment, prenatal, natural delivery, C-section and hysterectomy — all female)

Thoractic (throat and lungs and some heart), mastectomies

Cardio (heart and related connections)

reconstrictive (plastic)

Orthopedic (bones, wrists, ankels)

Neurological (brain and psychiatry, surggical or non surgical)

Vascular (micro surgery)

Each of thoses specialities if 4-5 years

General surgeon is a bread and butter surgeon.

Hernias, hydroceles, intestines, stomach. Hyserectomies. Genrally below the rib cage and above the thighs, although tonsils are included.

After training you take a test and have your last years work reviewed and become Board Certified

Cost for Foreign students at public universities is close to private universities. Private has one fee for all.

Public no, because it’s expected you were a tax paying resident for a while and they are tax subsizdized

So you can expect to pay NO LESS than $12,000 a year and as much as $35,000 a year for each year for the 8 years, PLUS housing.

So you are lookign in the range of $24,000-$45,000 per year for 8 years

Just housing for internship

Resident is a stipend of about $25,000 a year to cover your living costs.

After you graduate you hook up with a clinic or association or hospital and make $125-175,000 a year as a starting surgeon.

It MAY be possible for you to get declared a state RESIDENT after the first year and get your college fees reduced. You have to talk with the college on that and it may require your VISA be changed from Student to Permanent Resident.

Oh and do understand you have to APPLY to Medical Schools, APPLY for Internships and APPLY for REsidencies and you may have to travel far and near in the US once you find a place that accepts you.

They generally only take 40-50 Med student bodies a semester and only 4 – 12 residents per hospital.

Internships are usually at public hospitals where the waiting room never empties and these days there are 3″ thick Pelxiglass windows between you and the patient during the initial interview stages at the waiting area.

Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

1011 Total Views 4 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved