Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About US Residential Group

William asks…

im looking for a group home for my autism son.?

my son is 14 and everyday is tanturm get worse and worse me and my hubby dont know what to do we are looking for a group home to put him in,my son doesnt talk and he wont to do the crazy things and he thinks that we can fix anything.his behavior is so bad one day he was mad and he took a picture and hit his head with it and galss went everywhere,he did not get hurt but is scared me we dont know what to do we are at the end and need help please help US to help him.

Best Answer:

One of the hardest things to do as a parent of an autistic child is having to consider residential placement. No matter how much we love our child, and make every effort to care for her at home, a person with autism may need higher levels of specialized care, support and supervision, which may better meet their needs in a residential setting.

These are emotional and challenging times. And the service delivery process is often complex to get an autistic child residential placement. But we, as parents, can first learn what residential placement options exist and are available, and other information which can help to relieve some of this stress.

During this process you may wish to consider along with your child’s physician to try certain medications to reduce any adverse behaviors and to help him handle the environment better.

Risperdal is an approved drug by the F.D.A. To treat behavior-related problems associated with autism in children. The drug can be used to treat irritability, aggression, deliberate self-injury and temper tantrums in autistic children and adolescents.

Abilify is also found to be effective for reducing aggression, agitation and self-injury in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. For more on autism medications go to:

There are various types of residential placement options available for an individual with autism depending upon the level of care a person may need. To learn more about:

•Traditional Certified Residential Placement Programs
•Alternative Residential Placement Options
•Other Alternative Residential Options
•Selecting a Residential Placement Service Provider
•Special Considerations For Parents of School-Aged Children


For information on how to start the process to obtain residential placement for your child contact the Office of Mental Retardation & Developmental Disabilities in your state, the Developmental Disabilities Services Office or county Department of Mental Health. These offices may have similar names in your state of residence.

Ask to be referred for services. Parents may refer their own child(ren). Tell them that you may need a service coordinator, a person who assists families of an autistic child to develop an individualized plan of service or ISP. For more information and tips on how to select a service coordinator go to:

Also contact your local school district for its assistance in this process. Particularly if your child is making poor progress in a day school, or home program, and residential placement is being considered or recommended for a child’s Individualized Education Plan or IEP. An IEP is a written document that outlines a child’s education.

Remember to reach out or call upon your support system to help you and your family through what may be a difficult time.
Best wishes!


Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

1328 Total Views 2 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved