Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About US Visa Child Photo

Sandy asks…

Passports with old photos?

A friend of mine from Austria is planning on making a trip to the U.S. in a few months. He has a valid passport, but the photo in it is from when he was 12 and it looks NOTHING like him now. He has other documents with more recent photos and whatnot, but I was just wondering the likelihood that he may encounter a problem if he tries to use that passport to come over. He goes to school in Manchester so he can’t just jet down to get another one.
No, he didn’t start school in Manchester when he was 12, he started 3 years ago when he went there for University, which is why he can’t just go run to get a new one in Austria, lol.

Best Answer:

It should be OK as most child passports are issued for 5 years and someone age 17 can look very different from when they were 12. It’s a common issue.

Best is for him to simply take the other photo ID he has and be prepared to show it.


Also send this to him:

Citizens of about 35 countries can travel to the USA for up to 90 days at a time as a tourist or for some business purposes by registering for ESTA > before < their trip begins. The cost is US$14, which is similar to the fee for the Australian ETA program.


Registering is accomplished online, you don't need the details of your trip, and the confirmation is valid for multiple trips to the USA over two (2) years so don't wait until the last minute.

Print the confirmation – or at least record the number – and keep the information with your passport. Having a return or onward ticket leaving North America is a requirement, so have a copy of your airline itinerary at passport control.

If you are planning a long visit then DON'T schedule your departure day for the 90th day (any part of a day in the USA counts as a whole day, so if you arrive at 23:59h on the 1st and leave at 00:01h on the 10th it is 10 days in the USA). Schedule your departure not later than the 88th day as there are no (zero) provisions in the Visa Waiver Program for someone to voluntarily extend their stay. If you miss your flight due to something Immigration might consider avoidable (ex. Flat tire on the way to the airport) they may ban you from using the VWP in the future.

Check with your health insurance to find out if it covers you in the USA and pays for medical evacuation to home (should that be necessary). If yes then take proof of coverage with you. If no or not sure then get trip medical insurance, which is cheap and sold by airlines & travel agents. The USA has wonderful medical care but it isn't free or even cheap. Please do not skimp on this as an otherwise-silly accident could turn into a crisis if you don't have medical insurance. This is a link from the US government, but the info is good for anyone traveling outside their home country:

Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

1180 Total Views 2 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved