Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About US Visa Income Tax

Michael asks…

If I moved to the United States under an investors visa last year in June should I file an income tax as a US?

resident and how should I report the income earned in my home country prior to moving to the US? Do I qualify to claim an exclusion or what do I do? Thanks for your input!

Best Answer:

Publication 519 (2011), U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens

Chapter 6. Dual-Status Tax Year


You have a dual-status tax year when you have been both a resident alien and a nonresident alien in the same year. Dual status does not refer to your citizenship; it refers only to your resident status in the United States. In determining your U.S. Income tax liability for a dual-status tax year, different rules apply for the part of the year you are a resident of the United States and the part of the year you are a nonresident.

The most common dual-status tax years are the years of arrival and departure. See Dual-Status Aliens in chapter 1.
Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 07/05/2012

Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

1012 Total Views 2 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved