Visa Po!

Visas for Filipinos

Question About US Visa Waiver

Michael asks…

US Visa Waiver Or Tourist Visa?

I am just out of uni and wanted to travel before settling into a job and tying myself down again as school had.

I got back from visiting friends and family in the US just on a month ago now. I went on the Visa Waiver Program and followed the rules of the Waiver and returned with in my allocated 90 days. I found the 90 days was not long enough for me to see everyone and do everything I was planning on whilst I was there.
I still have plenty of money to support myself whilst there plus I’ve been offered to stay with family and friends helping my financial position even more.

Now I am very interested in going back with in the next month or so, though I am a little confused as to what I should go back on. I would like to get a tourist visa as I’ve read they let you stay for up to 6 months, but I also have seen they require an interview and cost more (not to mention the cost to travel to my nearest consulate).. I was looking at another Waiver but am unsure if I’m allowed to get another one so soon after leaving the States? Or if they will allow me entry into the country again so soon after I have already been there.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated as things I am finding online are very confusing and even contradict themselves and I’m at a loss on what to do.

Best Answer:

You can use the Visa Waiver Program to visit the USA again. DON’T apply for a real visa unless you have a verifiable reason for wanting more than 90 days in the USA besides tourism/visiting friends & family. The VWP is very flexible and Visa Officers at Embassies & Consulates are actually suspicious of people from VWP-eligible countries who apply for a tourist visa. If your application is denied you will > not < be able to use the VWP in the future, and having been denied once will make getting a regular visa approval difficult for years.

There is no stated maximum number of visits per year or maximum number of days you can be in the USA per year on the Visa Waiver Program. You just have to leave North America within the 90 days on each trip (going to Canada/Mexico/etc. Does not count as "leaving").

Immigration does watch for people who try to illegally live in the USA on the VWP. If you return soon after a long stay you should have with you documentation showing your visit is temporary and be prepared for extra questions.

DON'T schedule your departure day for the 90th day (any part of a day in the USA counts as a whole day, so if you arrive at 23:59h on the 1st and leave at 00:01h on the 10th it is 10 days in the USA).. Schedule your departure not later than the 88th day as there are no (zero) provisions in the Visa Waiver Program for someone to voluntarily extend their stay. If you miss your flight due to something Immigration might consider avoidable (ex. Flat tire on the way to the airport) they may ban you from using the VWP in the future.

Check with your health insurance to find out if it covers you in the USA. If yes then take proof of coverage with you. If no or not sure then get trip medical insurance, which is cheap and sold by airlines & travel agents. The USA has wonderful medical care but it isn't free or even cheap.

Posted From Yahoo! Answers (for informational purposes only)

1311 Total Views 2 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visa Po! 1994-2014 © All Rights Reserved